A Value Proposition (VP) or Unique Value Proposition (UVP) is a clear, concise, precise, powerful and easy-to-understand sequence of words aiming at:
- Describing the (promised) value of your offering;
- Establishing the main benefit for your customers/users;
- Arousing the reader’s interest;
- Setting your offering apart from the competition.
Value Propositions can also be called Selling Propositions (SP), Unique Selling Propositions (USP) or branding messages (BM).
Value Proposition vs Slogan
A slogan is a catch phrase that does not talk precisely about the offering. For example: “Just do it” for Nike and “Think different” for Apple are slogans. Slogans are usually used by reknown brands that do not need Value Propositons any more to explain their offering.
If you’re a small and medium business, you should use exclusively Value Propositions.
Good Value Propositions
A good practise for your offering and your brand is to write Value Propositions of different length. For example, you can write a short Value Proposition, of 3 to 10 words, and a longer one of 11 to 25 words. You can also write more versions if necessary.
Here are some good resources about writing Value Propositions:
- Guy Kawasaki’s The Art Of Branding
- Tor Grønsund’s 7 Proven Templates for Writing Value Propositions That Work
- Michael Skok’s 4 Steps To Building A Compelling Value Proposition
- George Mathew’s 5 Tips to Craft a Better Value Proposition
Here are some examples of Value Propositions of brands from A to Z. Some are better than others, but even if you don’t know the brand, you should be able to know what is their offering.
- 1Password: Go ahead. Forget your passwords.
- Attach: Know what happens to your documents after you hit send.
- Buffer: Save time managing social media for your business.
- Canva: Simply great design for you and your team.
- Digit (VP 1): You can forget about saving money.
- Digit (VP 2): Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it.
- Elevio: Customers prefer self-service support. Why not make it easy?
- Fanta: Delicous fruit flavored sodas.
- Five Guys: Handcrafted burgers and fries since 1986.
- Gengo: Professional translation within hours.
- Gumroad (VP 1): Gumroad helps creators take control of their creative careers.
- Gumroad (VP 2): An all-in-one solution to sell your work and grow your audience.
- Haiku Deck: Beautiful presentations without the struggle.
- Infogram: Create engaging infographics and reports in minutes.
- Jolicharts: Powerful data analysis. Beautiful reports.
- KWFinder: Find long tail keywords with low SEO difficulty.
- Less Acounting: Accounting Software for Business Owners Who Dislike Bookkeeping.
- Mad Mimi: Simple lovely email.
- N26: The first bank you will love.
- OnePageCRM: We’ve converted the complexity of CRM into a to-do list.
- Pick: Schedule meetings without the back and forth.
- Quuu (VP 1): Your social media marketing on autopilot.
- Quuu (VP 2): Grow your social media following via relevant hand-curated content suggestions.
- Red Bull: Red Bull gives you wings.
- Shopify (VP 1): The ecommerce platform made for you.
- Shopify (VP 2): Whether you sell online, on social media, in store, or out of the trunk of your car, Shopify has you covered.
- Sandals: Luxury included vacation for two people in love.
- TinyLetter: Email for people with something to say.
- The Washington Post: Democracy dies in darkness.
- Uber: Move the way you want.
- Vimeo (VP 1): All your video needs.
- Vimeo (VP 2): The highest quality, more control, unlimited inspiration, and everything else for your video.
- WordPress (VP 1): Build your beautiful site today.
- WordPress (VP 2): Everything you need for a website that works for you.
- Xink: Company email signatures that work.
- Yogi (VP 1): Purposeful Blends, Delicious Flavors.
- Yogi (VP 2): Teas made to do more than just taste good.
- Zendesk (VP 1): The best customer experiences are built with Zendesk.
- Zendesk (VP 2): Our customer service and engagement platform is powerful and flexible, and scales to meet the needs of any business.
Resources for more examples
- 32 of the BEST Value Propositions (Plus How to Write Your Own)
- The 31 Best Value Proposition Examples You Wish You Had [+VIDEO]
- 7 of the Best Value Proposition Examples We’ve Ever Seen
- Useful Value Proposition Examples (and How to Create a Good One)
- 26 Value Proposition Examples That Convert Visitors
Author: Dimitri Alamkan
Initial publication date: 2018-12-28
Last updated: 2020-04-21